September 3, 2013
Addie (Ashline) Barnes, Ken Lord and Edward Bechard in the one-room schoolhouse they attended together in the 1930s.
Stories this photo appears in:
Former student, now 89, donated land, restored schoolhouse.
The one-room schoolhouse where 89-year-old Edward Bechard first learned to speak English is once again in the education business, newly re-opened as the Coopersville Schoolhouse of History. Its been on quite a journey from it’s days on the Mason Road in Champlain, as Champlain District Schoolhouse Number 9. Built in the 1860s, on what was then known as the Lord Road, the schoolhouse fell prey to centralization in 1931. It was purchased in the forties by William Pauquette, and turned into a summer cottage and fishing camp. The Paquette family owned the building until a few years ago, when C