October 30, 2012
Volunteers get in the seasonal spirit by placing orange and white pumpkins at Triangle Garden opposite the North Elba Show Grounds including, back from left Miyo Sato, Barbara Friend, Joyce McLean, Garden Club president Joey Branch and Faith Brown, middle, Sally Urban, Nancy Colon, Mary Rhoades, front, Judy Shea, Nancy Shurtleff, Corinne Shurtleff, Chairman Linda Friedlander, Mary Jane Tobin, Dot Beatty and Sally Stoerr. This garden, originally planted as a wildflower meadow, has been maintained by the Garden Club of Lake Placid for 22 years. Because the weeds became overwhelming, two mounds were suggested after the second year by Ivan Zdrahal, engineering and planning specialist. Master Gardener Heidi Roland designed the first plant placement. The garden is one of over a dozen committees of the Club whose mission includes civic plantings, horticulture, appreciation of flower arranging, cooperation with state conservation programs and arousing public interest in the natural beauty and land/water resources around us. Although organized 80 years ago, the current Garden Club of Lake Placid was re-organized in 1952 and has continued without interruption for 60 years.