One Hundred Years Ago - January, 1914
Fire ends victim’s life
Mrs. Catherine Densmore, 79, of Corinth, was horribly burned, Thursday night, Jan. 22, 1914, while alone at her home. It is supposed that she accidentally overturned a kerosene lamp while sewing. She died Friday morning, Jan. 23, 1914, from her injuries.
Mrs. Densmore lived alone on the second floor of the frame building, the lower floor being vacant. Firemen found the lady leaning against a barrel in the kitchen with her clothing entirely burned from her body and her flesh burned to a crisp. They wrapped her in a blanket and carried her to the home of Mrs. Wilcox, a neighbor. Dr. H.J. Allen attended her and tried to relieve her suffering with morphine, but without avail and death brought merciful release from her awful agony.
Only prompt work of the fire department saved the house from total destruction. Mrs. Densmore was the widow of one of the most prominent physicians in Corinth.
Danger of indecency
Following the example set by many prelates, Bishop Burke warns Catholics against the tango. He issued a statement to the press defining his position. He said, “I suppose that the tango could be danced in a manner that would not be immoral or indecent, but it is by its nature exposed to abuse which is unbecoming to Christians and conductive to immorality. I trust, therefore, that no Catholic in the diocese of Albany will take part in any such dances as the tango, the bunny hug, the turkey trot or the grizzly bear. I, however, will leave it to the clergy of the diocese to warn the flocks against anything of danger to morals or decency.
Look out below
There is an appeal by the Town of Thurman from a judgment rendered by a jury in Supreme Court at Lake George last spring for $800 in favor of William A. Ingraham who alleged that he was permanently injured by the collapse of a town bridge over which he was driving with a load of hay.