Quantcast

Turning Back the Pages

Col. G.F. Bryant of Glens Falls, Bates’ son-in-law, had been assiduous in his search for the missing man and when he was finally found, conveyed the old veteran to his home in Lake George in his automobile.

President’s son to wed

Mrs. American Will of Los Angeles and Ulysses S. Grant, Jr., namesake of the former president of the United States, are engaged to be married. Although he has passed his 61st birthday, Mr. Grant is enjoying robust health and is in the prime of life. He and Mrs. Will, 33, met two years ago on a Pullman car of a westbound train. At the time both were in mourning for their recently deceased first mates.

Mrs. Will settled at the home of her mother in Los Angeles and Mr. Grant, who had arrived at his home in San Diego, wrote to her there and he made regular visits. Mrs. Will has verified that they are soon be wed and will enjoy their honeymoon in Europe.

Judge visits hometown

Judge Charles B. Richards of San Diego, Calif. is in Warrensburgh on a visit to his niece, Miss Clara Richards of The Elms (now The Pillars). Judge Richards is a native of Warrensburgh, being the youngest son of the late Pelatiah and Polly Richards. He was born in 1832 in the house now owned and occupied by Mrs. Louise Howard. At that time his father was building the home now occupied for many years by Fred W. King, where he lived for many years. (Note: The Fred King house was located, before it burned, on what is now the north front end of the Grand Union parking lot).

After graduating from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, Charles Richards studied law with Judge Spencer of Utica and in 1855 began practice in Fort Dodge, Iowa. After the Civil War he was appointed by President Abraham Lincoln a member of the Land Commission. He has lived in California 30 years and has amassed an immense fortune. He is now considered one of the wealthiest men on the Pacific coast. (Note - Because of the date “1838” written on a beam in the Dr. Eliakim Howard house, it has been assumed that this was the year it was built. According to this tale, however, it must have been constructed many more years before that if Charles Richards was born there in 1832. Louise Howard died there in 1914. Today it is the Peter Haggerty home directly across the street from the Presbyterian Church manse.)

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment