Turning Back the Pages

100 Years Ago - June 1913

Local memorial ceremony

On Memorial Day, the Queen Village paid tribute to the sacred memories of Civil War heroes who fought and died for their country. Praise was given to the living veterans, pitifully few in numbers and greatly enfeebled, who were guests of honor for the day.

The parade was formed on School St.(now Stewart Farrar Avenue) at 10 a.m. headed by the Cadet Band. The Cadets followed, looking spruce and soldierly in their handsome grey uniforms. An unusual number of schoolchildren with Principal John B. Chilson and several of the teachers in charge swelled the procession to imposing proportions. The Odd Fellows and Rebekah lodges were also in line and the veterans and speakers followed in automobiles which were kindly donated for that purpose by Dickinson and Bertrand, J.M. Somerville, D.E. Pasco, C.S. Ackley, Timothy Lynch and T.J. Smith.

At the cemetery, the exercises were held in the beautiful grove which forms a natural temple. Prayer was offered by the Rev. C.S. Agan and Lincoln’s Gettysburg address was read by Miss Corene Kenyon. After the ceremony, the schoolchildren were formed in details and under the direction of Capt. Samuel B. Moses they decorated the graves of all of the soldiers in the cemetery.

Area veteran lost at Gettysburg

George W. Bates, 70, of Lake George, a Civil War veteran and a member of the G.A.R., accompanied 16 of his comrades to the Gettysburg reunion and mysteriously disappeared from his tent in the encampment Sunday, June 29, 1913, and was later located in one of the camp hospitals and brought home.

He had been in poor health for several years. He was overcome and wandered about the battlefield for some time. He entered a tent some distance from his own quarters and lying down on a cot became unconscious. He was found by a Boy Scout, but was unable to tell his name and there was nothing about him to give a clue about his identity. The old veteran was taken to the third ward of the field hospital and for several days his memory remained clouded. The strange case was reported to the Washington War Department but before they could respond, Bates recovered his memory and was able to identify himself.

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment