A view of Main Street looking north, circa 1913 or later. The John Wade building, currently operating as Cafe Sarah, is circled. The building to the right (south) is Braley & Noxon Hardware, still in operation. (P-1128g)
The following is the third in a series of interpretive signs featuring historic buildings in the Town of Johnsburg. The signs were created and designed by the Johnsburg Historical Society with a generous grant from the Glenn and Carol Pearsall Adirondack Foundation.
The building featured here currently operates as Café Sarah, on Main Street in North Creek.
Once known as the John Wade building, this is typical of late 19th century vernacular architecture, with an overhanging porch off the upper-storey residence and dual commercial space at the street level. Mr. Wade opened his new business Christmas morning 1894, featuring a meat market accessed from Circle Avenue. Mr. Wade was also a furniture maker and undertaker, but sold the latter business to the Swain Brothers who operated north of this place.
After the meat market closed in the lower level, John’s son Claude operated a poker hall known as “The Pig’s Ear.” Claude died in 1927 and John in 1930. The street-level commercial space also functioned as North Creek’s post office entered through the left door and the office for New York Power and Light through the right-hand door. The building to the south is Braley & Noxon Hardware, which still operates today.
In the now-vacant lot to the north of this building stood Farrell’s Hotel (aka The Wade Hotel) and a grocery provisions store operated by John Wade’s other son, Charles. When the hotel caught fire in 1965, the C.S. Wade Store — by then operating as Adirondack Gas and Appliance — burned too.
Sarah Hayden Williams breathed new life into this building and the commercial district when she opened Café Sarah here in 2001.