Turning Back the Pages

100 Years Ago - July 1913

Drunken quarrel ends in death

During a drunken carousal on the riverbank July 5 1913 at Hudson Falls, participated in by Earl Hammond, Victor LaRoux and Arthur Butler, all of that place, Hammond and LaRoux became engaged in a quarrel and LaRoux pushed his companion over the bank and into the river. Hammond, being too drunk to swim, sank to the bottom and was drowned.

Charles Riley heard the argument and saw Hammond go over the embankment and with the assistance of John Ryan rescued the body from which life had fled. Riley notified the police and also Dr. Mellick. Officer George Harding took LaRoux in charge and placed him in the village lockup, while Hammond’s body was removed to Riley Brother’s undertaking rooms.

LaRoux is a young man with a police record, having been arrested several times, but has always managed to get off without sentence. He had been a pardoner of Hammond for several years.

Young Butler, who was the only eyewitness to the whole affair says that when LaRoux pushed Hammond down the bank that LaRoux rolled with him and that both being drunk, Hammond was unable to get out of the water and that LaRoux did not hold him under the water as has been alleged.

Earl Hammond, 22, is the adopted son of Harry Hammond of Hudson Falls. LaRoux is only 19. Coroner Mellick is conducting an investigation. The weight of the evidence seems to be in favor of the contention that LaRoux was not responsible for his companion’s death.

Distraught youth declared insane

George Adkins, a colored youth from New York, who recently came to Luzerne to work at the Wayside Inn during the summer, attempted to commit suicide early morning June 30, 1913 by slashing his throat and left wrist with a razor. Two other colored men who roomed with him discovered his act and notified the hotel manager. Two physicians were hastily summoned and succeeded in saving the young man from bleeding to death. His strange actions and a subsequent examination by the physicians confirmed the suspicion he was insane and he will be committed to an asylum. His injuries were not serious.

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment