100 Years Ago - January 1913
Supervisors celebrate at gala
The Halfway House was the scene of gay festivities the evening of Dec. 13, 2012, the occasion being a banquet tendered by Supervisor Milton N. Eldridge of Warrensburgh, the youngest member of the Warren County Board, to observe the anniversary of his birth. Present were almost all of the members of the Board of Supervisors, Attorneys, county officials and representatives of the press.
Proprietor Arthur Lyle spread his usual excellent feast before the banqueters at 7 p.m. and waiting for their appetites to recover, did it again an hour later and when their stomachs had been appeased, an extemporaneous post-prandial program was observed.
Hon. Addison B. Colvin was the first speaker. After complimenting the Board of Supervisors as a whole, he paid tribute to the late Taylor J. Eldridge, father of the evening’s host. He recalled a banquet in the Rockwell House in 1893 which he and Taylor Eldridge attended. He closed his speech by offering a silent toast to the memory of Jonathan M. Coolidge, once a member of the Board of Supervisors, who had died a few days previously at his home on Glen St.
One of the amusing features of the program was the presentation of a silk hat to Supervisor Beecher Glassbrook of Stony Creek by county Attorney Loyal L. Davis. Glassbrook had gained much fame among his fellow supervisors as a collector of caps and hats and it was thought that the silk hat would prove a most desirable present. Glassbrook graciously accepted the hat and agreed to wear it for the remainder of the evening, but refused to appear within the limits of Stony Creek in such regalia.
Supervisor Herbert J. Russell ended the program with a talk on “The Centennial.” A rising vote of thanks was tendered to Milton N. Eldridge. (Note: The historical Halfway House was located near today’s outlet shops on the west side of state Rte. 9, directly facing the entrance of the Fort Ann Road. Established by C.L. Rockwell, The Rockwell House — on the west side of Glen St. in downtown Glens Falls — perished in a spectacular fire. Milton Avenue, in Warrensburgh, was named for Supervisor Eldridge. I wonder if Supervisor Glassbrook’s silk hat today rests in the Stony Creek museum.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.