The Glen Bridge, however, was built in 1816 and was swept away by a flood in 1843 but was rebuilt immediately as a covered bridge which was swept away again in 1903 by ice. The original bridge had a sign on it saying, “Warning: $10 fine for riding or driving over the bridge faster than a walk.”
River takes its toll
Sometime in the era that Warrensburgh was founded, the Judd Bridge was constructed. It was a toll bridge owned by farmer James Judd, and for many years, it was the only bridge available to get from one side of the town to the other.
Years ago my late husband, Mervin Hadden, shared a vivid recollection of an incident the afternoon of Feb. 27, 1923 — when he was 6 years old — walking with his father, Edward Hadden and he witnessed the aftermath of the collapse of the newer iron Judd Bridge. The span had collapsed under the weight of a wagon load of wood, two horses and two men, Benjamin Guiles and Walter Varnum. The two men had jumped from the load and escaped somewhat uninjured but the horses had fallen into the ice-choked river. One horse was bleeding and seriously hurt under the mass of debris, he said. The next replacement Judd Bridge was not built until Aug. 20, 1924.
Settlers flock to town
The first permanent settlers to occupy the new Queen Village of the Adirondacks were mostly Scottish and English, many of them having come from the old country looking for a good life. It was a wild country accompanied by a rough and perilous struggle for existence and it would be many years before the luxury we live in today was to arrive.
Just off Horicon Avenue, on what is today Rosalie Avenue, looking down on Rte. 9, was an old blockhouse located near the huge boulder called “High Rock,“ the landmark that once stood at the entrance to the town. In 1790 and 1791, in the early days of the settlement, guards stayed at night at the blockhouse to look out for Indian attacks.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.