In 1850, he decided to be a resident of Glens Falls and has lived there continuously since that time. He was a faithful Episcopalian. He became a large real estate holder in this city that he grew to love. Around 1883 he bought the land now known as Crandall Park on upper Glen St. and spent nearly $30,000 in purchasing, irrigating, grading and improving the property, the free use of which was given to the city of Glens Falls and will forever be known and used as a public park by the city. A smaller park in the rear of the Crandall home, on Maple St,, was also opened for public use.
On a knoll situated near the center of beautiful Crandall Park on upper Glen St. stands an imposing marble shaft, surmounted by a golden five-pointed star and in the base are two compartments, one of which will contain his remains, marked with the initials “H.C.” and the other will contain the remains of his spouse, marked only as “wife,” when it is her time to be laid to rest. The star is emblematic of the mark used by Mr. Crandall while engaged in the lumbering business.
Henry Crandall’s whole life was spent in doing good and he has laid up treasures in Heaven which he will now enjoy. It is expected that all business places in Glens Falls will close during the hour of the funeral.
(Note: On May 30, 1872 the Glens Falls Soldier’s Civil War monument was dedicated on the little island at the intersection of Glen, Bay and South streets in front of the Crandall home. In 1882 the Town Board appropriated $75 to keep the monument in repair and Henry Crandall was given the job of caring for it. He did this faithfully until at age 91, he said he was no longer able to do the job. That year, however, there was a movement by the Common Council to relocate the monument because it was deemed a traffic hazard and Crandall opposed the idea. He won his battle and the monument still stands today at its original site. On Feb. 22, 1913 Henry Crandall’s remains were encased in a copper casket at the base of the 40-foot marble shaft in Crandall Park. There is a rumor that his two favorite white horses are buried in front of the monument.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.