DEC rangers conduct rescues in wilds around Lake George

— Forest rangers assigned to the Lake George area were busy in October and November conducting rescues — including two rock-climbers stuck on a high cliff, according to Department of Environmental Conservation Region 5 officials.

On Oct. 13 at about 6:30 p.m., the caretaker at Rogers Rock Campground was told by a camper of two climbers stuck on the face of Rogers Rock in the Town of Hague. The climbers had equipment malfunction and were unable to move up or down.

Nine DEC Forest Rangers gathered at the summit of Rogers Rock to rescue Cedric Bien, 28, and Susannah Gue, 27, of New York City, who were stranded approximately 250 feet from the bottom of the 650-feet high main slab of Rogers Slide. A rope system was deployed and a Forest Ranger was lowered 450 feet down the face of the cliff to the climbers. They explained that were descending the cliff when their top rope became snagged, preventing them from moving farther. The climbers had yelled to a passing boater who sought assistance from the campground.

The Forest Ranger attached Bien and Gue to the lines of his rope system and the three were lowered to the base of the cliff. The two climbers were returned to their campsite at Rogers Rock Campground after midnight.

Lost hunter located by rangers

On Nov. 16 at 12:42 p.m., DEC received a call reporting a lost hunter in the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area in the town of Horicon. Edmund Haynes, 70, of Hudson Falls had a medical issue that required him to be found quickly. Six DEC Forest Rangers responded to the scene. At 3:15 p.m., Haynes was located and walked to the trailhead, where Emergency Medical responders treated and released him.

Injured hiker brought back to civilization

On Oct. 3, at 7:20 p.m., authorities received a 911 call reporting reporting two hikers, one of whom was injured, that needed assistance. Louise McNutt, 53, and Marissa Pond, 20, both of Loudonville were hiking on Buck Mountain towards Pilot Knob in the town of Fort Ann. Pond had injured her ankle earlier so they weren’t moving fast, rangers reported. It was getting dark and neither of them had a flashlight.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment