•100 years ago - Dec., 1913•
J. E. Sawyer relocates to Glens Falls Hill
The biggest real estate deal which has taken place in some time in Glens Falls was consummated in December, 1913 when J. E. Sawyer & Co. purchased from Mayor W. Irving Griffing the three-story brick building on the top of Glen Street hill constructed in 1905, formerly occupied by the Griffing & Leland Co. as a livery stable and sales establishment store which offered three floors of carriages, buckboards, harnesses and the best in driving equipment and it was later ran by Mr. Griffing, a former Athol native, until his retirement from business last spring. The consideration was not announced but it is said to have been in the neighborhood of $35,000.
As soon as complete equipment has been put in, Sawyer will move into their new building which will be probably around March 1, 1914. J. E. Sawyer & Co. has been in business 30 years, having first established a harness and horse goods establishment in 1883 near the Jointa Lime Company’s property in Lower Warren St. at the foot of the Feeder Canal. Later they moved to the store now occupied by R.E. Burger. Eight years later they moved to Park and Glen streets and 17 years ago moved to their present site at 30 Warren St. The company now occupies the three floors at No. 36, also the loft over the National Express Company’s office and has a large store shed in the rear.
(Note - Originally the palatial home of Duncan McGregor, built about 1836 by Capt. Sidney W. Berry, for whom Berry Street was named, once presided at the top of Glen Street Hill and its impressive retaining wall later supported the entrance driveway to the J.E. Sawyer store which sold hardware, paint, steel, mill supplies, heating and plumbing supplies and later, after raising to four stories with 58,000 square feet of space at 64 to 90 Glen Street, became a Glens Falls landmark.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.