County centennial celebration
The Warren County Centennial celebration opened in Warrensburgh on Sunday, Aug. 3, 1013 with a union service at the Methodist Episcopal Church with pastors and people of the Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian churches participating. The church was tastefully decorated with the national colors and with its brilliant lights and handsome fittings presented a beautiful sight.
Lewisville is not behind other parts of the village in decoration for the Centennial. Many of the residences and business places are very tastefully trimmed with flags and bunting. (Note: “Lewisville” was the name for the area of town on River St. extending from the Osborne Bridge to the Woolen Mill Bridge at Milton Avenue.)
In other news, a large crowd was present at the Historical Day exercises in Johnsburgh on Aug. 5, 1913 when a marker was erected in the center of the village.
Immigrant achieves success
In the mid 1800’s, Dennis McCarthy, an Irish immigrant, came to this area as a child and settled in Warrensburgh where he learned the tanning business.
He was a tanner who eventually turned to the shirt business and shipped his merchandise to New York city and made good. He left Warrensburgh in 1888 to go to Glens Falls and built two shirt factories there and one in Ballston Spa as well as several lumber mills under the title of McCarthy and Barnett Lumber.
McCarthy has four children, a son, Joseph and three daughters and he built a big house for himself and also one for each of his children on Goodwin Avenue, Glens Falls. Now, in 1913, McCarthy is known as an immigrant, once in the tanning trade, who is currently a successful man with three shirt factories, a family, a large house, a stable for his horses and a car. By hard work and perseverance he truly achieved the American dream.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.