•100 years ago - August, 1913•
Riverside Hotel incinerated
Herbert F. Stanley’s hotel at Riverside was destroyed by fire July 27, 1913, together with most of its contents, entailing a loss of $10,000 which only $1,000 was covered by insurance. It was owned and conducted by Mr. Stanley who is also proprietor of a general store and a bottling house at Riverside.
The fire was discovered about 3 o’clock in the ice house at the rear of the hotel. It spread with amazing rapidity and the rear walls of the hotel were soon ablaze.
About 50 men, many of whom were guests, attempted to check the progress of the flames but their efforts were to no avail. All hope of saving the building was soon abandoned and it was left to its fate while the firefighters directed their efforts to saving the Delaware & Hudson company’s station, a wooden building near by. This was covered with wet blankets and constantly deluged with water until the blaze in the hotel had died down and the danger had passed.
When the fire was at its height, George Parsons of Glens Falls had his hand cut by falling glass and J. Brady’s coat caught fire from the intense heat but the prompt action of his companions saved him from serious burns.
The Riverside Hotel, as it has been known for several years, was a long wooden three-story structure. It was conducted for a long time by Luke Martin and had long been a popular resort among summer visitors. At the time of the fire it was filled to capacity.
Man conduct lands him in jail
William Dingman’s wife had him arrested Aug. 13, 1913 and hauled before Justice Hodgson on a charge of disorderly conduct. He was given 30 days in the county jail. In the meantime, Mrs. Dingman will care for her seven children without the very little help that Bill gives her.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.