Little boy gone to Heaven
James Gerald McCloskey, 2 , died Sept. 14, 1912 at Schroon Lake after an illness of only a few days. He was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. James P. McCloskey and was of a bright, loving disposition who won the hearts of all who knew him. So full of happiness and sunshine, he will long be remembered by all who had ever met the cheery little fellow.
The small white casket was covered with many wreaths and bouquets of flowers from the many friends of his family and in his hand were a few of the wild flowers little Gerald had been especially fond of in his short life. He was buried Sept. 16, 1912 in the family plot at Schroon Lake. “Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep, from which none ever wake to weep.”
Citizen passes away
William Needham, 57, died after several weeks duration of an illness of liver and heart trouble on the morning of Sept. 26, 1912 at 5 o’clock at his home on Hoag Avenue, Warrensburgh. He leaves a widow and one son, Orlin (“Orlie”) Needham of Thurman, three brothers, Leroy, Clarence and Charles Needham, and three sisters, Mrs. Orrin Perkins, Mrs. John Corbett and Mrs. William Mosher.
Looking backward from 1912
It was just 125 years ago today, on Sept. 29, 1787 that the Caldwell (now Lake George) patent was granted. (Note: James Caldwell, an Albany merchant, purchased the patent from Udney Hay for 1,595 acres at the southwestern end of Lake George which made him at that time the area’s chief landowner. By 1810 he owned 7,000 acres covering most of the land at the head of Lake George. He died in 1829.) It was 38 years ago, Sept. 26, 1874 that the cornerstone of the Sacred Heart Church in Lake George was laid.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.