Turning Back the Pages

“Bear Wallers” go hunting

Eight members of the Bear Waller Hunting Club, composed of Warrensburgh’s leading sportsmen, will be headed out on their annual hunt on the morning of Nov. 5, 1912, immediately after they have cast their votes. Their headquarters, as usual, will be established at Sawyer’s clearing in Oregon, NY, about six miles above Bakers Mills. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Wescott will go along to keep camp.

Dr. W.F. Wilkinson, Ernest C. “Kid” Manzer, Lewis E. Crandall, Clarence Russell, Marshal Burt, Charley Green, Barry W. Woodward and Orlin Magee will make up the party. Dr. J.E. Goodman will join the party when he returns from New York City where he is being treated for throat trouble.

Summer tourists long gone

The Fort William Henry Hotel at Lake George has been closed and will remain dark until about the middle of December, 1912 when it will be re-opened for the winter season. M.M. Kelly will again be manager and John Rushlow will be in charge of winter sports.

News roundabout

Old Mother Nature forgot our bright blue October weather at the beginning of this month but she is giving it to us now.

The Bull Moose rally held at Masonic Hall, Pottersville was largely attended. “Bully for Teddy,” was the phrase heard around the hall. Voter registration is 403 in local District One, 17 less than last year and 387 in District Two, 37 less than in 1911 at Warrensburgh. Betting on the election, Warrensburgh has Wilson as the favorite by odds of four to one.

Mrs. Tony Cioffi of Rutland, Vt. recently gave birth to her fourth pair of twins in nine years. Some single ones have been scattered along at intervals bringing the family up to nine living children as three have died. Tony says he has had enough.

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment