The former Bonnie Brae Villa, once a palatial summer home built in 1865 at the base of Dackinsack Mountain near Raymond Lane, Warrensburgh, was later renamed The Manor restaurant. This photograph was taken by Jean Hadden on Feb. 17, 1980, a mere 24 days later, the house was totally destroyed by arson fire.
Photo by Jean Hadden.
The couple visited Warrensburgh for the last time in 1897 when they were entertained at The Elms (now The Pillars). Col. William Allen died in 1906.
Cordelia Bishop Allen was universally loved in her adopted land. Her funeral was held on Sept. 24, 1912 at her late home and she was cremated.
Judge Hodgson’s court
Claude Smith was arrested Monday, Oct. 7, 1912 on a charge of grand larceny, preferred by James Raymond of Spruce Mountain, who alleged that Smith, who was in his employ, stole a $20 bill from him. After a jury trial of his peers, Judge Hodgson sentenced Smith to six months imprisonment in the Albany penitentiary.
In another case, John Jackson, a young man who was inclined to be “tough,” was arrested by Constable Lon Sherman on Oct. 8, 1912 for disorderly conduct and was taken to the Lake George jail. In the car he became obstreperous and tried to “mix it up” with Lonnie. The attempt was a failure, but Jackson was badly mussed up by the cordy constable before he was brought to realize the fact that he wasn’t so tough. Judge Hodgson gave him a six month sentence which will remain suspended during his good behavior.
Bonnie Brae spruced up
John F. Burt has taken the contract for painting Bonnie Brae Villa, Mrs. John L. (Mary) Russell’s beautiful summer residence on Upper Main Street and is now on the job with several men. The body color is light green, with white trimming and blinds dark green. The colors blend beautifully with the fall foliage of the many shade trees on the place and the effect is very pleasing to the eye. (Note…This house, built in 1865, was one of the most beautiful mansions ever seen in Warrensburgh and sat at the base of the mountain behind today’s Post Office. The end of a gracious era, it was destroyed by arson in 1980.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.