The Bates Cemetery in Johnsburgh Corners has been enclosed with a new fence which improves the grounds very much. Some of the state lots which have formerly been cleared or denuded by fire are being set to pine trees. State Patrolman R.T. Armstrong has charge of the work.
J.J. Latham of Warrensburgh and Mrs. Effie C. Pratt of Thurman were married May 17, 1912 in Warrensburgh by the Rev. H.F. Titus of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A fancy big oak chiffioner, handsomely finished with fine deep drawers and a large French plate glass mirror, can be purchased at Burger’s store, Glens Falls for $9.98 on easy terms of $1 down and $1 weekly.
At Dickinson’s Market in Warrensburgh, fresh fish is 6 cents a pound and liver is 3 pounds for 25 cents. At Cora Montgomery’s millinery store, she will give a goldfish in a small bowl with every purchase. On July 1, 1912 she will be going out of business.
It was just 48 years ago, May 31, 1864, at 2:30 in the afternoon, that a coal stove housed in the Glens Falls Hotel kitchen (located about where the roundabout is in 2012) started the worst fire in Glens Falls history. No less than 112 commercial buildings were destroyed which leveled the city’s business district. (Note: The Glens Falls Hotel was rebuilt as The Rockwell House which was later renamed Hotel Towers. It also was destroyed by fire in 1950.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.