Lake George’s “Waldorf” torn down
The unsightly old shack standing on the property of Charles F.W. Horn, on the main street of Lake George, which for a number of years has been an eyesore to the people of the village, has at last been razed and the citizens are now viewing the landscape in that vicinity with much satisfaction.
The building, which some facetious citizen had dubbed “The Waldorf,” was a large square structure which looked as though it might take a tumble to itself at any time. It was a spite affair and the owner has bitterly fought in the courts all attempts to cause its removal or destruction.
At last, however, he consented to have the building razed at village expense. Ownership of the site is still in litigation.
Beloved son departs life on earth
With the break of dawn Saturday morning, when Glens Falls was shrouded with clouds, the soul of Herman P. Baumann, 35, took its heavenward flight. With the passing of his kind and gentle life, Glens Falls as well as Warrensburgh lost one of their dearly beloved sons — one who never had a harsh word for a fellow man.
Pen cannot eulogize this fine gentleman. Born Jan. 30, 1877, his early life was quiet and when he was only 18 he became connected with his father and brothers in the well known firm of J.P. Baumann & Sons. For the past 17 years he has been associated with them in the shirt business, spending most of his time in New York City and Warrensburgh, where the shirt factory is located.
Three years ago he went to Denver, Colo. in the hope of regaining his health, but last November, his condition showed a marked turn for the worse and he came home on his doctor’s advice, where no hopes were entertained for his recovery.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.