Cause of home fire in Keene thought to be faulty wiring

Four companies on-scene

Four fire departments were on-scene at a Keene house fire March 13 on Route 9N.

Four fire departments were on-scene at a Keene house fire March 13 on Route 9N. Photo by Katherine Clark.

— KEENE — The fire that destroyed the home of Travis Gagnon March 13 appears to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring, fire investigators said.

Essex County Fire Investigator Jack Hanby said after examining the home, he noticed that the most severe damage appeared to be along a floorboard in the kitchen. The initial investigation determined that wiring in the wall beyond is what started the blaze, he said.

The home, which is located on Keene’s Main Street, was considered a total loss. It was occupied by Gagnon and his girlfriend, Liza McCay.

The couple were at work at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

The fire was reported at 11:50 a.m. by a member of the Town of Keene Highway Department who witnessed smoke coming from the building.

Members of the Keene Fire Department arrived at 11:57 and were able to contain the fire to the second floor. Other emergency responders included Keene Valley, Upper Jay, Lake Placid. Elizabethtown was on standby.

Due to the volume of emergency personnel on scene Route 9 was temporarily shut down to traffic from the bottom of Baxter Mountain to Stewarts at 12:10 p.m. The roadway was able to be reopened to traffic by 3:20 p.m., according to Lake Placid Fire Police Captain, Bucky Hayes.

Gagnon said it was a miracle no one was home and that no emergency personnel were injured extinguishing the fire.

“Thankfully no one was around and everyone made it out safely,” Gagnon said.

Gagnon said he will be staying with friends until a more permanent living situation can be arranged.

Hanby said the home was insured under Gagnon’s mother who lives part of the year in Keene and part in Florida.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment