Turning Back the Pages

Bolton hotel damaged by fire

The Lake View House, a popular summer hotel at Bolton Landing, caught fire at noon, June 13, 1912 and was saved from destruction by a bucket brigade composed of the villagers and boarders of the hotel, which had just been opened for the season.

The fire was caused by a burning cinder from the chimney which fell on the shingles of the cupola. The dry wood ignited readily and a lively blaze had started when it was discovered. Help was summoned by telephone and about 100 men gathered to fight the flames. The damage was confined to the roof.

The house is owned by R.J. Brown, who has conducted it continuously for 40 years.

Grand larceny nets prison term

Charles Maxim of Stony Creek pleaded Guilty to a charge of second-degree Grand Larceny. He passed a 50-dollar Confederate bill on Charles W. Harris of Garnet. Maxim was sentenced to Dannemora Prison for not more than two years and four months at hard labor.

Homestead weddings

A pleasant wedding took place at Loch Muller, the afternoon of June 20, 1912 when Cecil Butler of that place and Miss Bernice Peters of New York were united in marriage by the Rev. F.M. Bar of Minerva at the old Butler homestead which was purchased some two years ago by the bride as a summer home.

In other wedding news, a quiet wedding took place at the residence of Daniel Wells, near Igerna, at noon June 4, 1912 when their youngest daughter, Marion Wells became the wife of Dwight S. Purvee, son of Stewart and Esther Stannard Purvee of Horicon.

The Rev. Bert S. Van Vleet performed the ceremony and the attendants were Miss Nina Wells and Elwin Wells, cousin and brother of the bride. Only immediate members of the family were present, 16 sitting down at the wedding luncheon.

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment