Sir William and Lady Van Horne of Toronto, Canada passed through Warrensburgh in an automobile on their way from Saratoga Springs to Schroon Lake where they are currently staying at the Leland House. (Note: James and his brother, Lewis Emerson of Warrensburgh, were the owners of the Leland House. Bonnie Brae Villa, just off Raymond Lane, was Mrs. Mary Russell’s summer home as she lived in Troy. Bonnie Brae burned 32 years ago. Mrs. Bertha Weinman and Mrs. Harte Joseph were the wife and daughter of former Warrensburgh Supervisor Louis Weinman who served until 1907.)
Dillon barn catches fire
Fire broke out in a barn on the Dillon farm in Wevertown on the morning of July 2, 1912 and an alarm was sounded. There was a general response but the blaze was extinguished by John Johnston, the nearest neighbor, before the bucket brigade reached the place. The farm is owned by T.J. Murphy and occupied by Charles N. Baker.
The Republican National Convention in Chicago, on June 22, 1912, nominated President William Howard Taft and Vice President James Sherman for second terms of office. (Note: Sherman died just a few days before the election and Taft lost to Woodrow Wilson.)
Because of intense heat, the weather bureau announced that July 7, 1912 was the hottest July 7th in 20 years. A band of gypsies with 16 horses, on July 17, 1912, visited Stony Creek.
Dennis Weaver, driver for Dr. J.M. Griffin and his gardener, reports that cucumbers of good size were picked Monday, July 15, 1912 and served at the good Doctor’s table.
Fresh liver is 4 pounds for 25 cents this week at Dickinson’s Market, fresh fish is 6 cents and steak is 17 cents a pound.
Mrs. Agnes Hewitt has returned from a trip to Egypt and is now at Erlowest, her Lake George home. LeGrand C. Cramer and family arrived at Trinity Rock, their summer home in Diamond Point, for the season.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.