A new walking trail, providing access to the La Chute River Falls, will be dedicated Saturday, July 14.
continued This past winter Terry Smith refurbished the same Liberty Pole that he helped construct more than three decades earlier. After the Liberty Pole was erected this spring in Champlain Legacy Park, Smith placed the symbolic soaring golden Eagle at the very top. This particular Liberty Pole has now become a valuable piece of Ticonderoga’s heritage.
Not far from the Liberty Pole is the site of another project, a walking trail with bridge and landing providing safe access to the falls along the La Chute River, the gateway to Lake Champlain. William Dolback and Michael Cruickshank have led this effort begun over a year ago before the extremely high waters in the spring and summer of 2011 put the plan on hold. Although this dedication will be the official opening of the walking trail, people have been enjoying it during its development. As part of ecotourism, the Walking Trail Access to the falls can provide visits to natural areas with unique experiences while conserving the natural eco-system.
The project’s overarching goal is to enhance the quality of life for local people and visitors alike, young and old, by creating a space for educating residents, advocating healthy environmental practices, encouraging recreational activities and promoting eco-tourism. This project was made possible by an Education and Outreach Grant from the Lake Champlain Basin Program.
“Ticonderoga, the First 250 Years” is a Ticonderoga Committee, co-sponsored by the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum and the Ticonderoga Historical Society, formed to lead the Community in commemorating the 250th Anniversary of the settlement of Ticonderoga in 1764 and the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812 (Battle of Plattsburg on Lake Champlain 1814) along with the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. These ceremonies are a continuum of activities which have been and will be coordinated by this Committee.
Following this program, light refreshments will be served at the site. For additional information, contact the Ticonderoga Historical Society at firstname.lastname@example.org and 585-7868 or visit us on facebook.