continued According to officials on scene, anywhere between three or four residents were in the complex at the time of the fire, with all making it safely out with no injuries.
“The tenants were not able to get belongings out, but everyone was able to get out safely,” Willsboro-Reber Fire Police Captain Roger Crowningshield said.
Blanchard said that she was afraid that her cat had not made it out of the fire, as well as several birds from a neighboring tenant.
Jimmy Lee of the Willsboro-Reber Fire Department said that the American Red Cross had been alerted to the situation and would be offering temporary lodging to those displaced by the blaze.
The fire was the second that the Willsboro Volunteer Fire Department was called out on the morning of Jan. 16, as they and members of the Keeseville department responded to a blaze at 1158 Middle Road.
According to authorities, Susan Cave and David Briner were alerted to a fire at their home when 10-year old Austin told them that he smelled smoke. The trio escaped, along with a 10-month old baby.
The fire was contained to a bedroom in the house, but the house suffered extensive smoke damage as a result of the blaze.
The North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross will be assisting the family.
- Editor Keith Lobdell contributed to this story