Quantcast

Letters give glimpse into Moriah’s past

Moriah Reflections

“Fletcherville Charcoal Blast Furnace”

This furnace was located three miles from Mineville and was built in 1865 by S. H.

And J. G. Witherbee and Mr. F. P. Fletcher, of Bridport, Vermont.

A Mr. Bailey was its first superintendent, and afterward succeeded by Thomas F. Witherbee. The quality of the iron made was of a high character, and some of the first steel rails in this country were manufactured from this iron.*

It is a matter of historical interest to note in connection with Thomas F. Witherbee’s administration of this furnace that for over a period of over two months about twenty-three hundred pounds of pig iron were produced on the consumption of less than sixteen hundred pounds of charcoal. This low fuel record, it is believed, has never been surpassed by any modern blast furnace. It is also interesting to record that Mr. Witherbee ran, with this furnace, the first chemical laboratory ever attached to a blast furnace. The first closed-front used in America was also installed by Mr. Witherbee in this furnace.

Our brothers, John and George, were born in Fletcherville, John on July 16, 1868 and George on July 16, 1871. The family moved back to Port Henry in 1872 or 1873 and lived in the house which Uncle John had built for his mother. Here Jessie and I were born and Tom.

Father was then engaged in designing and building for the Cedar Point Iron Company “ a fine modern Blast Furnace on the southern end of the Village of Port Henry. Whitwell hot blast stoves were imported from England and the furnace was the most expensive one that had yet been constructed. Installed in this furnace were a number of innovations of his own invention, perhaps the most outstanding of which was the “Witherbee Bronze Twyer,” which was soon used by some, if not all, of the furnaces in the country. He was Superintendent and General Manager of this furnace for many years and became one of the acknowledged foremost blast furnacemen in the country. He was a Charter Member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers.”

Joan Daby is the retired town of Moriah historian.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment