For many years during the late 1900s and early 1900s, the opulent Grand Union Hotel in Saratoga Springs was host to the rich and famous, as well as politicians and stars of film and stage.
She may walk again but only after prolonged treatment. Probably she was most punished by her foolish vow, but she had her way and that ought to make her satisfied.
Conflagration at Bakers Mills
Floyd L. Minor’s store, residence building and barn at Bakers Mills were burned to the ground at noon Feb. 22, 1912 during a high wind and severe storm. The fire broke out in the roof around the chimney and spread so rapidly that practically nothing could be saved. After the fire was discovered it was scarcely ten minutes before the building and its contents and the barn adjoining were a mass of smoking ruins.
Forty cords of stove wood stored in the woodshed of the building helped to feed the flames. The loss is about $15,000 and there was only $2,000 insurance. In the meantime Mr. Minor will continue his business in a building nearby.
Death in the news
Miles W. Bowen, 73, a lifelong resident of Thurman and a man who was highly respected, died Saturday morning, Feb. 3, 1912 at his home in Athol after a brief illness of pneumonia.
Mr. Bowen was born July 21, 1838, the son of William and Margaret Dow Bowen. He leaves a widow and two children, George C. Bowen of Athol and Mrs. Freeman Cameron of Warrensburgh. He was buried in the Cameron Cemetery, Thurman.
Milo Morehouse, 58, of Johnsburgh, died Feb. 2, 1912 after a long illness of dropsy. He leaves a widow and three children.
Stephen Baker, 79, of North Thurman, died Feb. 2, 1912 and leaves five children. He was buried in the Reynolds Cemetery, Thurman.
Anson Frazier died at his home in Grassville, near South Horicon after a lingering illness. He was the brother of Lyman, Hiram, William and Washington Frazier. He leaves a widow and a daughter, Mrs. Ann Smith.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210