Quantcast

Turning Back the Pages

For 21 years around the turn of the 20th century, this building was the headquarters of the Glens Falls Insurance Co.  on the east side of Glen St. north of Bay St. The photograph shows it raised from its foundation in 1912, ready to be moved across Glen St. to become a Masonic temple. In subsequent years, it was incorporated into the Episcopal Church campus. The ‘new’ insurance building built on the east side of the road was demolished in the 1970, replaced by Glens Falls’ sole ‘skyscraper.’

For 21 years around the turn of the 20th century, this building was the headquarters of the Glens Falls Insurance Co. on the east side of Glen St. north of Bay St. The photograph shows it raised from its foundation in 1912, ready to be moved across Glen St. to become a Masonic temple. In subsequent years, it was incorporated into the Episcopal Church campus. The ‘new’ insurance building built on the east side of the road was demolished in the 1970, replaced by Glens Falls’ sole ‘skyscraper.’

The Rev. C.H. Mead has been holding revival meetings at Stony Creek for the past few weeks. The Rev. H.F. Titus of Warrensburgh preached there one night recently.

James Swan of Chester, while cutting wood at his home near Darrowsville, fell and broke his breast bone, sustaining serious injuries.

Myron Allen, who has been laid up for several weeks as the result of an accident at the paper mill in Burnhamville, Warrensburgh, in which one of his feet was seriously injured, is finally able to be up and out again.

Albert Beswick, the young son of Leonard Beswick of West Bolton, cut off the first finger of his left hand at the second joint in a feed cutter. Dr. Goodman of Warrensburgh dressed the wound.

Darius Bennett, 59, died Jan. 27, 1912 at his home on The Glen Road. He was a widower. John Kleg, 75, a German, died Jan. 28, 1912 at the Warrensburgh County Home. Henry Lawrence of Johnsburgh died Feb. 6, 1912 of pneumonia. Burial was in the Bates Cemetery.

Melvin Baker of Darrowsville, Chestertown has installed a telephone in his house.

A complete line of stylish Hudson ladies’ Lynx, coney, opossum, skunk, jap mink, fox and black wolf fur coats are on sale at Goodman’s store in Glens Falls at $5 to $25. Seal muffs are 50 cents.

Time-honored legend

Every Adirondack town has its legends and ghost stories. One of the most interesting and time honored tales told in early Warrensburgh history is that of an old resident who was driving his team of horses over the former bridge over the Schroon River at the south end of town, where Rte. 9 now makes its crossing.

It was springtime and the water was high, but had not yet gone over the bridge. A witness told one morning of seeing the man in the driver’s seat the night before go over the bridge and into the river with his horses and wagon.

Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1@nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment