With the heating season underway, Thurman Fire Chief Jeremy Bradway has offered advice about making sure homes have adequate fire extinguishers on site.
Bradway said the National Fire Protection Association recommends that at least one fire extinguisher is situated on each floor in a single family residence, and another vulnerable areas such as the kitchen and in a furnace room, or where any open flame or heating appliance is present. Place the fire extinguisher on the wall opposite the heating appliance and within easy reach so it can be accessed quickly in an emergency, Bradway said.
As far as type and size, a 2.5-pound ABC or multi-use fire extinguisher is usually sufficient for all areas of the home and a 5-pound one for a workshop area.
In case of a fire, the first thing anyone should do is call 911. The extinguisher should only be used if the fire is small and the smoke level is bearable — if so, stand four to six feet from the fire, pull the safety pin out and sweep back and forth at the base of the fire, and not the flames, he advised.
If the fire is still not under control after the extinguisher is depleted, leave the building immediately, closing the door behind you.
Appropriate extinguishers can be purchased at most home supply stores and a 2.5 pound model normally costs less than $20.
Bradway also advised that each home should have an appropriately-placed carbon monoxide detector as well as one smoke detector outside every bedroom in the home. Also, remember to change the batteries every six months.
Help sought for Jackwax party
The Thurman Maple Sugar Party which occurs every spring after the sap flows has become an annual tradition that folks from throughout the region look forward to.
This “jack wax” party is a tradition which began almost half a century ago, with residents donating homemade salads and casseroles to create a fantastic all-you-can-eat buffet supper, topped off with old-fashioned jack wax made from locally produced maple syrup. Local musicians demonstrate their talents to entertain those ticket holders waiting to dine. Proceeds are donated to the American Cancer Society.