Turning Back the Pages

Arthur W. Morehouse, formerly of Lake George, whose wife died this spring leaving him with four young children, and who has been staying for some time at Bakers Mills, came to Warrensburgh recently to remain for a stay at the home of Dudley Monroe.

Old Maids’ show opens

The one-act comedy, “The Spinsters’ Convention,” under the auspices of the Warrensburgh Presbyterian Ladies’ Aid Society was presented July 26, 1912 at Music Hall. The players were arrayed in wondrous comical costumes and were cleverly made up to look as spinsters are supposed to look, but seldom do. Mrs. Charles F. Burhans played Josephine Jane Greene with much dignity.

Their antics provoked frequent and hearty laughter. The hall was completely filled and the door receipts were about $110, most of which was profit. (Note: the Warrensburg Music Hall was next door north of today’s Rite Aid pharmacy.

Two steamers in trouble

The new steamer Horicon, carrying about 700 passengers on a moonlight excursion on Lake George under the auspices of the Knights of Columbus, grazed a rock in the narrows and barely escaped a serious accident. As it was, one of the paddle wheels was considerably damaged, part of the wheel box was carried away and the hull was scraped. The boat was enabled, however, to reach Lake George Village under its own steam. The next day it was sent to the Baldwin yard and will be out of commission for 10 days.

The night of Aug. 10, 1912, the steamer Sagamore, with about 200 passengers aboard, ran on a sand bar opposite Hague village and was stranded for 36 hours. Word was sent to Lake George Village, and the steamer Horicon, which was docked there, was rushed to the scene with all possible speed. She pulled and tugged on the big boat for several hours to no avail, having moved the steamer only about three feet after breaking all her hawsers and anchor chains.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment