‘Bear Waller’ Club boys
The “Bear Waller” Club, composed of Warrensburgh’s mightiest nimrods, started for the tall timber on Oct. 20, 1911, leaving by automobile as early as Counselor Lewis E. Crandall could be routed from his bed. They established their camp at Sawyer’s clearing on the Sacandaga River and will remain there until the close of the deer hunting season on Oct. 31, 1911. It was agreed upon that the woods are full of deer and their capture is comparatively easy if a man just knows how to shoot straight.
This will be their third annual expedition, “Big Chief” Herb Smith will lead the party to the lair of the weary deer. E. C, Manzer will fill his old position as “Little Chief” and Counselor Crandall will again have charge of the “grub list” and the larder will be well supplied. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Wescott will preside over the culinary department.
Other hunters on the trip will be Dr. W.F. Wilkinson, Dr. James E. Goodman, Barry W. Woodward, William Condon, Orley Magee, Charles Green, James Guyette, Clarence Russell, Herbert C. Smith and Clyde Ross.
Note: The prestigious Bear Waller Club was organized in 1909 by Warrensburgh barber Ernest C. “Kid” Manzer and was probably the most popular and best known hunting club in this part of the Adirondacks. For many years each fall the “Bear Wallers” pitched tents in the Oregon section of the Town of Johnsburgh for the annual hunting season. The “Kid” was best known for the white albino deer that he shot in 1907, a rare specimen seldom if ever seen.
After he originally moved here from England, his first shop was on the second floor of the Crystal Pharmacy which stood for many years near the sidewalk at the north end of the present day IGA store parking lot, before it later burned. He also had a shop at one time on the corner of Main Street and Adirondack Avenue, a little building called Trilby Cottage on the lawn in front of today’s Rite Aid pharmacy. Manzer conducted a barber shop in Warrensburgh for 52 years before he retired in 1938. He married Eva Knickerbocker in 1898 at the Methodist parsonage.
Contact correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.