continued The library collection contains 9,862 volumes. The library circulates 5,516 items a year and serves a population of 1,152 residents.
The Sherman Free Library opened on Jan. 17, 1887. George Riley Sherman, partner in the Witherbee & Sherman Mining Company, provided $7,700 to build the library and stock it with 3,000 volumes. He stipulated that the library would be free to every person residing within the village of Port Henry limits. The library now serves the entire town of Moriah.
On Dec. 1, 1907, the library was closed in order to enlarge the building. A fire a week later badly damaged the library and all its books. The library re-opened on Aug. 12, 1908.
Sherman gave an endowment of $10,000 to be used to maintain the library. In 1901 the library received a further endowment of $10,000 from the will of Jane H. Sherman.