Town elects first G.O.P. chief
A rare assemblage of good fellows met the evening of Nov. 15, 1911 in the Grand Army House at a banquet given in honor of the king of good fellows, Milton N. Eldridge, Warrensburgh’s newly elected and first-ever Republican supervisor.
The tables were decorated and covers were laid for 50 guests. J.P. Gabel, the local caterer had spread out a lavish banquet with many succulent items including Blue Point oysters on the half shell, tenderloin a-la-casserole, roast Vermont turkey with oyster dressing and Cardenal punch, plus all the fixings. Imported cigars were handed out after the meal and the smoke began to curl upward from 50 contented smokers.
Acting as toastmaster, Hon. James A. Emerson delivered a masterful address which closed with the expression of a desire to live and die in Warrensburgh. Mr. Eldridge responded in his characteristically happy manner and assured his listeners he would work for the interests of the taxpayers and would consider himself responsible to them only. The speeches went on well into the night.
(Note: The Grand Army House later became The Warren Inn and now another building stands on the lot on the corner of Main and Water streets, housing John Henry’s tavern.
Milton N. Eldridge was an amazing man, never afraid of hard work. He was born at Wevertown, Oct. 16, 1880, a son of Hon. Taylor J. Eldridge, known as “T.J.,” a prominent North Creek merchant who served Warren County with distinction for five years in the lower branch of the state legislature.
In 1899 his father, with Hon. Louis W. Emerson and James A. Emerson, established the Warrensburgh Woolen Co., a principal area industry on the old pants factory lot. Milton was put in charge of the business which manufactured 40 pairs of men’s all-wool trousers per day as well as varieties of woolen cloth. The street was later named “Milton Avenue” in his honor. This lot is today 18 Milton Avenue where I now reside.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.