Quantcast

More funds for Jerusalem Schoolhouse project

Built in 1874, on the site of a previous schoolhouse, the Jerusalem Schoolhouse was considered quite an imposing structure at the time - back when Route 17 was still the unpaved McCullough Turnpike and children routinely rode horses to school each morning.

Generations of children were educated in the rural schoolhouse until its closure in 1968; there are still many people in the area, like Orvis, who remember doing their lessons around the woodstove on winter mornings. The schoolhouse is listed on Vermont's Division of Historic Sites. It has continued to serve as a center for community events in the Jerusalem area of South Starksboro.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment