* Walk dogs early in the morning and in early evening so that the jaunts take place when the weather is cooler.
* If you'll be taking a dog along on a hike during warm weather, be sure to pack enough water for both of you.
* Consider the use of dog booties to protect pads from hot pavement.
* Dogs may not be allowed on beaches during the summer tourist season. Check ahead before planning a seaside adventure.
* Warm weather helps parasites multiply. Don't keep food left out or it may attract bugs and become spoiled.
* Check with a vet about medications that can ward off ticks and fleas, which tend to be in full force during warm weather.
For more summertime health tips for a pet, consult with a veterinarian or visit www.vetinfo.com.
At left: Dogs may enjoy the warm weather, but pets should take it easy when it's especially hot outside.