WARRENSBURG-Dozens of enthusiastic runners and fitness buffs ran through the hamlet Saturday as they participated in the second annual Burgher Dash footrace.
The event is held to raise money for the development of the Warrensburg Elementary School playground.
Although the number of runners fell a little short of last year, event officials said that they were pleased with the turnout, considering another major event - the Prospect Mountain Road Race - was being held the same day.
"We were happy with the numbers and the enthusiasm of the runners," event organizer Anne Downes said. "And it didn't rain."
She said that a lot of Warrensburg Central School alumni either competed or helped organize this year's race, which included a number of young elementary school students trotting over the 5k course through the town.
Volunteers helped direct traffic and protect runners' safety over the loop through the residential back streets of Warrensburg.
Winning the race was Mike Slinskey, who has won the Schroon Lake Marathon once and the Burlington Vt. marathon twice. Downes said he is training for Olympic tryouts.
The event raised about $1,000 - but this feat is eclipsed by another purpose of the event, she said.
"The important thing is that kids are getting active and the adults are too," she said. "It's great for the community."
Burgher Dash results
• Male Winners: Mike Slinskey, 17:04; Mike West, 20:37; Rob Hemsing, 21:47.
• Female Winners: Kate Kubaryk 21:17; Maggie Danna, 24:51 and Patricia Monahan, 24:53.
• 12 and Under - Boys: Chris Jett, 23:16, John Kelly, 24:12; Danny Kelly, 26:54. Girls: Hannah Scott, 31:24; Natalie Davey, 31:47; Hailey Sweet, 32:37.
• 13 to 19 - Boys: Ian Lowe, 26:54; Girls: Korynn Raymond, 31:29.
• 20 to 29 - Men: Dakota Fuller, 26:43; Women: Kate Riviello, 28:03.
• 30 to 39 - Men: Doug West, 22:50; Chris Brown, 23:56; Sean Doty 30:17; Women: Kristin Starling, 30:17; Lee West, 34:44; Bridget Lieberman, 35:59.
• 40 to 49 - Men: James Kahler ,21:57; Brian Winchell, 22:33; Austin Markey, 24:09; Women: Debra Kahler, 31:56; Trudi Siletti, 33:04; Cookie Barker, 33:23.
• 50 to 59 - Men: Steve Danna, 28:09; Women: Dar Watsaw, 47:26.
• Over 60 - Men: Jim Goodspeed, 23:13; Daniel Prosser, 24:22; James Watsaw, 47:27; Women: Dot Langworthy 30:12; Ronni Silver 46:17.