Lake Champlain flood victims can call 2-1-1

ADDISON - Homeowners and renters in Vermont who suffered damage or losses in floods over the past few weeks should call 2-1-1 to report that damage. The 2-1-1 call will record all damage information and pass along to Vermont Emergency Management to assist in its efforts to receive a federal disaster declaration and financial help for homeowners.

VEM is currently working to estimate private property damage around Vermont to determine if the state may qualify for an Individual Assistance disaster declaration from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The 2-1-1 call is an easy to remember central call point for all homeowners to report this damage.

Vermont has received no disaster declaration for individual or public assistance at this time.

Vermont needs to show significant damage to private homes to qualify for an Individual Assistance declaration from the federal government. It is imperative that all homeowners who have damages call 2-1-1 and make a report. However, those homeowners should not expect any immediate relief or assistance when calling 2-1-1.

If you need immediate emergency assistance call 9-1-1. The 211 call is a program of the United Way.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment