Arson scars area forests
Burned in a forest fire were 20,000 acres of valuable timber lands in the town of Johnsburgh starting on May 13, 1911. The timber was still burning a week later. Light rains have finally helped fire fighters in getting the flames under control.
The fire started near Mud Pond and spread rapidly to the banks of the Sacandaga River, three miles away. It followed the river bank to two islands about two miles below the narrows and than jumped the stream near Fox Lair Camp, owned by Richard Hudnut of New York City. The camp was soon surrounded by a wall of flames and the superintendent, Thomas Thornioe sent a telephone appeal for help while starting a steam pump which conveys water from the river to a reservoir atop the mountain nearby which supplies the camp with water by gravity.
A crew of men at work on the road responded to the call for help and made their way to the camp where after a hard fight they managed to save all of the buildings. The fire traveled at a rate of five miles an hour and it was feared that the little hamlet of Bakers Mills would be wiped off the map. Every man there came out to fight the fire.
In the town of Luzerne a big fire raged all day on April 15 and 16, 1911. Fire Warden Nathan Pulver says that he is positive that all the fires on state lands this spring were deliberately set.
Clouded skies and a light rain for a while on May 18, 1911, led many to believe that the long and destructive drought was at last to be broken, but not so. The sun is again shining brightly and the drought is with us still.