While blasting for a retaining wall on the state road in process of construction between Luzerne and Corinth, a gang of workmen unearthed the skeleton of a mastodon, a huge animal with two large tusks somewhat like, but larger than, an elephant. With the exception of two large bones of the fore-legs, the skeleton is in a state of good preservation. Some of the smaller bones are broken but it is believed that they can be replaced so that the skeleton can be set up.
The bones were turned over to the State Museum in Albany. Bones of the same kind of an animal were found in Cohoes a number of years ago when excavations were being made for a big knitting mill there.
Fires leave change landscape
E.S. Dunlap, proprietor of the Dunlap Hotel at North River, which was destroyed by fire on March 15, 1911, has sold the hotel site, barns, sheds, etc., to George Ordway, formerly of the Ordway Hotel at that place.
Mrs. James Glassbrook's house in Knowelhurst, on her farm near Judson Fuller's, was mysteriously burned on the night of June 12, 1911. Mr. Fuller now has the only house left over the mountain on West Stony Creek.
Deaths in the news
Henry Maxam, 78, of Bakers Mills, who had a stroke of paralysis in the winter and has since been very feeble, died June 15, 1911. He leaves a widow, a married daughter and two sons, Fred and Frank Maxam. Maxam had been a resident of Bakers Mills for more than 40 years, lumbering in the north woods and living on his farm near the village. He was buried in the Hack Cemetery, Johnsburgh.
Rev. Dr. Romine Campbell, former pastor of the Warrensburgh Methodist Episcopal Church, died June 16, 1911 in Amsterdam where he had been pastor of the Methodist Church since 1902. His first pastorate he was assigned to was Pottersville before coming to Warrensburgh. He was buried in Hartford, Washington County.