For a short time, there was a group called The Ladies of the GAR and in 1892 Fort Ticonderoga Camp #87 Sons of Veterans met in the GAR rooms on S. Main St.
A GAR post in Crown Point called the C.F.Hammond Post often joined with The Alfred Weed Post for special events.
In 1896, a large group from both posts were presented a spirited and eloquent description of the Battle of Cedar Creek by E.J.Barker. He was 21 years old at the time of the battle and was a part time commander of the Old 5th NY Calvary. In the 1920s this veterans organization was without remaining members. Today, we can still find many metal GAR markers in our local cemeteries.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.