Death of a distinguished lady
Emma P. Landon, 84, has died. She was the daughter of Esquire George Patterson, resident of Warrensburgh since about 1815. Emma married John Landon of Chestertown, a playmate in his boyhood days of A.T. Pasko of Warrensburgh. He came to this village when he was a young man and conducted a harness business and sold out to Mr. Pasko. He and his wife then moved to Glens Falls.
Emma Landon was a sister of Elizabeth Patterson, who with her mother, Julia Patterson lived and died in a large house near the Sturdevan Bakery on which property they owned for scores of years. She was a cousin of Mrs. Thomas Cunningham and the late Caroline Patterson.
Mrs. Landon was a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church in Warrensburgh and was a lady of true Christian charity. One of the business blocks on Warren St. in Glens Falls is known as the Landon block. Since the death of her husband in 1898 she has boarded with the H. Prior King family in Glens Falls. She died Feb. 3, 1911 in Albany and is buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Alexander T. Pasko, a grand old man, was born in Chestertown, the son of Levy Pasko. He settled in Warrensburgh in 1849 and became a dealer in harness and "horse furniture" in a house on the now vacant area two lots north of today's Glens Falls National Bank. (Note: The Sturdevan Bakery is now Riverside Gallery and perhaps the Patterson house is the house behind the old bakery on Elm St. Mrs. Thomas Cunningham, the former Miss Mary E. Burdick, lived on the corner of Main St. and today's Stewart Farrar Avenue, in those days called School Street. Her beautiful 150 year old house was razed Nov. 9, 2000. H. Prior King was a successful lawyer, one of the grandsons of famous early Warrensburgh settler Pelatiah Richards whose opulent home once stood in the north end of today's Grand Union parking lot. It was also at one time the home of Paul Gilchrist, who is currently president of the Warrensburgh Historical Society.)