Turning Back The Pages

Motherless girl drinks acid

Driven to desperation by constant brooding over her lonely condition, Miss Rose L. Hewitt, a 20-year-old motherless girl, who formerly lived in Warrensburgh, committed suicide in Glens Falls Dec. 9, 1911 by drinking half an ounce of carbolic acid.

She took the fatal dose shortly after 6 p.m. at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pelletier, 3 Washington St., where she boarded. In spite of all that Dr. G.A. Chapman and Dr. Virgil D. Selleck could do for her, she died two hours later.

The girl had been melancholy for some time. Several times she had been heard to say, “Well, they are all gone and I want to go too,” evidently referring to her mother and brother who died some time ago.

Her father is living in Herkimer and her two brothers, William and George Hewitt live there also. Another brother, Freeman Hewitt lives in Seattle, Wa. The family members are natives of Thurman and moved to that place from Warrensburgh 10 years ago to take residence in Burnhamville near the paper mill. After the death of the mother, the girl was left in the care of her aunt, Mrs. Scott Ross. For a time she was employed at the Warrensburgh Shirt Factory before she moved to Glens Falls about three years ago to work in the Leggett Box Company’s plant on Maple St.

When Mrs. Pelletier went to Rose’s room to call her for supper, she discovered her lying across her bed in a semi-conscious condition with a small bottle in her hand. This is the second time that Rose has taken carbolic acid within six months, the former act was discovered in time to save her life.

There is a persistent rumor that the girl committed suicide because of being jilted by a young man who had paid her considerable attention until recently.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment