The current expenses of the library for the year amounted to $1,076 and this entire amount was paid by the founders, Miss Clara Richards and her sister, Mrs. Mary Richards Kellogg. There is now in course of construction an addition to the building which will practically double its capacity.
(Note…Clara and Mary Richards were the children of Mary P. Burhans and General Samuel T. Richards who died in 1864 in the Civil War. Their home was at The Elms, now called The Pillars. The girls’ grandfather, Colonel Benjamin Peck Burhans, was the man who came from Ulster County and brought industry and prosperity to Warrensburgh in 1836 with his leather industry.
Building and expansion was going on at the Richards Library 100 years ago just as it is going on today — although the contemporary work seems to be stalled.
Deaths in the news
James Haley, 59, a former resident of Warrensburgh, died Aug. 10, 1911 at his home in Corinth of hemorrhage of the throat. He had been an invalid for about a year. He leaves a widow, Julia (Collins) Haley, one son and a daughter, Henry and Nellie Haley, all residing at home.
The deceased was one of eight children, a graduate of the old Warrensburgh Academy and at one time one of the leading merchants of Warrensburgh, conducting a general store in the building now occupied by John K. Heffron.
The body was taken to North Creek on the morning train for internment in the family plot in St. James Cemetery.
Floyd J. Putney, 19, son of Wallace Putney of Luzerne, died Aug. 4, 1911 at the home of his uncle, Daniel Ross at The Glen of spinal meningitis. His death has caused great sorrow as he died at the very place he was born. The young Putney boy was buried in the Luzerne Cemetery by the side of his mother who died 14 years ago.