The Alexandria Avenue train trestle, circa 1874, has been renovated and is open for foot and bike traffic.
Ticonderoga With no official fan fare, the Alexandria Avenue train trestle, circa 1874, completed its three-month make over recently and is open for foot and bike traffic.
“A fall grand opening will be scheduled once school is in session,” said Sharon Reynolds, executive director of PRIDE, the administrator of the $325,000 NYS DOT Transportation Enhancement Program grant awarded to the Town of Ticonderoga in 2010.
The train trestle was a part of the Ticonderoga Branch of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. The main line of the Ticonderoga Branch crossed the LaChute River (earlier known as the Ticonderoga Creek) above the upper falls on a plate girder bridge (the trestle) located at the outlet of Lake George where Lake George empties into Lake Champlain via a series of waterfalls. The line was often referred to as the Baldwin Branch, however, those native to Ticonderoga know the line as the Lake George Branch. The Baldwin Branch was constructed in 1874 between Baldwin Landing on Lake George and Montcalm Landing on Lake Champlain. Up until 1874, connectors between steamboats on Lake George and Lake Champlain were made by stagecoach. The railroad became the main method of travel to Ticonderoga for decades.
PRIDE will be researching funding sources for future enhancements to the LaChute River Trail this fall in anticipation that the community will be able easily access the LaChute River Trail via a well marked trail system.