Weathersfield One of the many activities at the Town of Weathersfield’s 250th birthday celebration Aug. 20 will be the Weathersfield Cake Quilt Contest.
All interested bakers are asked to bring a cake to be part of a large quilt cake. The decoration is completely up to the baker—historical, contemporary, floral, etc. Prizes will be awarded. Any kind of cake is welcome, but the sides must be iced.
The quilt cake will be on display in the meeting house until later in the afternoon.
After a presentation of the Weathersfield History Pageant, the cake will be cut and served with ice cream to town residents and vistors.
Saturday, Aug. 20
• 8:30 a.m.: Weathersfield Center Meetinghouse: Fun Run for Kids (1/2 mile)
• 9 a.m.: Weathersfield Center Meetinghouse: 5 K (3.1 mile) run (for all)
• 1 p.m.: Parade (including Grafton Cornet Band, Shriners Clown Unit, antique cars, and more!)
Following the Parade: Opening Ceremony with music and VIPs (Center Meeting House)
• 2–5 p.m.: Workshops for kids, contests, informational booths, demonstrations, tee-shirt and terrarium making
Recreational events: games, horseshoe tournament, horse demonstrations (for kids and adults)
Music, food of all kinds Art show and quilt show (inside Meeting House)
Rev. Dan Foster House (Historical Society Museum) open
• 3 p.m.: Weathersfield history pageant, written for the occasion, and staged by Weathersfield students
Following the Pageant: Cake Quilt judging, then cake and ice cream for all
• 4 p.m.: Pie contest judging
• 6–8 p.m.: Chicken BBQ & corn on the cob
Dancing: music provided by “Sensible Shoes”
• 8:30 p.m.: Gala Fireworks Finale (Arrisons’ field off Yewell Lane)
Sunday, Aug. 21
• 10 a.m.: Service at the Weathersfield Center Church titled, “Religion in Weathersfield, 1761-2011”. presented by Edith Hunter.
For more information on events, see the town website: www.weathersfieldvt.org or call Ellen at 802-263-5505 or Ginger at 802-263-5626. For more information on the road race, cake and pie contests, and horse shoe tournament, call Edith at 802-674-2234 or Bev at 802-263-5411.