Dr. and Miss Merrill are expected to arrive the latter part of May and they will remain until fall. (Note: This house was built by Grace's maternal grandfather, businessman Stephen Griffing II, who starting in 1857 was three times supervisor of Warrensburgh. Today it houses Grace's Restaurant.)
A new trolley car built for the Hudson Valley railroad arrived in Warrensburgh on April 30, 1911 for the first time. The coach is somewhat larger than the old cars and it holds far more people. The fittings are very handsome.
A bright, bouncing baby boy, named Charles Frederick Burhans, Jr., arrived in Warrensburgh to join the family of Charles and Eva Burhans. He has a dainty little sister, Helen Burhans who is four years old. (Note: the Burhans mansion stood on "Burhans Hill," now known as Pine Tree Lane, directly behind today's Town Hall. It was indeed the showplace of the "Queen Village." Made of stone from Hackinsack mountain, the grand structure was torn down in the early 1960s, and the stone from its walls was used to build the town garage.
Fire leaves family homeless
Edward Dimmick's farmhouse was burned April 30, 1911 with nearly all of its contents destroyed. The chimney burned out and set fire to the roof and the shingles were so dry it was impossible with the meager facilities at hand to stop the blaze. The family dinner was cooking on the new steel range that cost $68 and was destroyed together with all the maple sugar and syrup made on the farm this spring. There was $400 insurance on the building but the household goods destroyed were a total loss.
News around Thurman
Spring housecleaning with all its many terrors is upon us once again.
Mrs. Corda Elwell and Mrs. Cora Kenyon of Athol recently walked seven miles to the home of Mrs. Elwell's father, in Dartmouth. Mr. Combs brought them back the next day.