Mother of crash victim recalls frantic two-day search in '09

BOLTONLANDING-Eighteen months ago, Brittany LaFoy was near death, trapped for nearly two days in a wrecked car that had careened off the road into the woods in Warrensburg.

Sunday, May 1, a fundraiser is being held for LaFoy, 25, to help pay for her ongoing rehabilitation costs and medical expenses. The benefit event will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. at Pumpernickel's Restaurant in Bolton.

Last week, Brittany and her mother Tammy LaFoy-Gray talked of Brittany's ongoing recovery from the near-death experience, and how the horrific event unfolded.

Apparently, a determined, thorough search effort by her father, mother, and then-boyfriend Mitchell Knapp saved Brittany from dying alone in the crushed vehicle, which had veered off the roadway late at night out of sight off an embankment of Rte. 9 north of Warrensburg.

Brittany went out after work on the night of Friday Oct. 2, 2009, and her baby son was at Knapp's house. He called Brittany's parents early Saturday morning, saying he knew something was wrong because she wouldn't leave her son for so long without checking in.

It wouldn't be like Brittany, Tammy said, to just spend the night at a friend's house, without telling everyone.

Police were called that morning, and they began a search, of area roadways - as well as homes for runaways - and their effort turned up no leads, Tammy continued. Tammy came home from a wedding Saturday at 5:30 p.m., and she and her husband Louis Gray started a two-day effort which started out with calling Brittany's friends, area taverns, and traveling roads throughout the area to see where she might be.

A friend reported that Brittany was supposed to go to the Black Bear Restaurant in Pottersville, and Tammy and Louis searched the roads that Brittany might have taken home. Their search continued through the night into Sunday.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment