'Bear Waller Club' to launch hunting expedition
Looked after with tender care by Mr. and Mrs. Andrew and Mary Wescott, the Bear Waller Club will start on its annual pilgrimage bright and early at 1 o'clock Saturday morning, Oct. 1, 1910 to the fish pond area. This personal third tour is under the guidance of "Big Chief" Herbert "Bill" Smith and "Little Chief" Kid Manzer. Tents have been provided and the "grub list" has been scrutinized by Counselor Lewis E. Crandall, a specialist in this department. The duration of this hunting trip will be 12 to 15 days.
(Note...In the fall 2010 issue of the Warrensburgh Historical Quarterly, editor John Hastings printed his second series of articles on the Bear Waller Club as it was in 1915 and 1916 which provides good reading. If you are not a member of the Society, a copy can be bought or read at the Richards Library. The fun loving Ernest "Kid" Manzer was the town barber. He died in 1958.)
Hospital nearly ready for patients
The directors of the Glens Falls Hospital are making plans for the opening of the new hospital which is nearing completion and is expected to open Oct. 1, 1910. The building is located on Park Street, just east of the present building and the new three-story building will accommodate 125 patients.
Editor's well-earned vacation
John L. Tubbs, editor of the Warrensburgh News, is spending a week with his venerable friend, Jacob R. Foster of Shelburne Falls, Mass.
(Note: The local legend John Livingston Tubbs, born in 1861, was an editor for 50 years starting out with the Lake George Mirror and ending with the Warrensburgh News. Jacob R. Foster, John's best friend once owned the shoe-peg factory which once stood across from present-day Curtis Lumber. Foster's hobby was to build violins and he built one for John, called the "Old Squire" which John played regularly with the Tubbs Concert Orchestra in town. The Warrensburgh News was at one time situated on Elm Street, directly behind the bandstand. John L. Tubbs died in 1937.)