Eating a bowl of oatmeal each morning is the perfect way to start your day off right. When choosing oatmeal, you want to stay away from the instant sugared varieties and choose whole, slow cooking oats. They will keep you feeling full and provide a powerful punch of health benefits.
According to the American Cancer Society:
1. Insoluble fiber's cancer-fighting properties are due to the fact it attacks certain bile acids, reducing their toxicity.
2. Soluble fiber may reduce LDL cholesterol without lowering HDL cholesterol. LDL is bad; HDL is good.
3. Soluble fiber slows down the digestion of starch. This may be beneficial to diabetics because, when you slow down the digestion of starch, you avoid the sharp rises in your blood sugar level that usually occurs following a meal.
4. It has been found those who eat more oats are less likely to develop heart disease, a disease that is currently widespread in the U.S.
5. The phytochemicals in oat may also have cancer-fighting properties.
6. Oats are a good source of many nutrients including vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium. Oats are also a good source of protein.
Corinna Maggy is a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-3549. The information contained within Health Matters is not a substitute for professional medical examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult your physician before starting an exercise program or beginning any nutritional regimen.
Try this tasty heart-healthy breakfast recipe to reap the health benefits of oats.
3 c. oatmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. milk or milk substitute
1/2 - 1 c. raisins or blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together and add the raisins or blueberries. Spread in a 9x9 pan, lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Serve as-is or top with milk or milk substitute.