PLATTSBURGH - After the success from the first North Country's Biggest Loser, applications are now being accepted for a second season, which promises to be bigger and better.
Last year, 10 people were selected to take part in the first ever North Country's Biggest Loser. In all, the participants collectively lost more than 300 pounds in just four months.
Although there were only 10 who were chosen, more than 40 applications were sent in, leading organizers to consider adding more for this season.
"All 43 [applicants] deserved to be in the program," said organizer Steve Peters, superintendent of recreation for the city of Plattsburgh. "That really led me to wonder, well what would it take to do all 40 people?"
Finally the decision was made to go ahead with 40 participants, with four teams of 10 people being created, instead of one large group. However, there will be some more familiar faces within the groups.
"One of the cool parts is that we are including last year's Biggest Losers as coaches," Peters explained. "Two per group."
Peters said last year's team had a "cohesiveness" that he's hoping they bring to the groups this year.
"They need to kind of ... gel a little bit and be their own support network," he explained. "That's what happened last year with the group and it really was amazing."
Applications for this season will be due by Sunday, Sept. 12, with the first gathering of the chosen participants being at this year's Heart Walk, Sept. 25.
"That'll be the first time they'll meet as a group," said Peters. "They're going to walk as a part of the Heart Walk group. They will choose whether they want to do the 5K or just the mile."
The first official weigh in will follow the walk. Then the next meeting will be Oct. 4, when the weight training, circuit training and cardio workouts will begin, with classes being held every Tuesday and Thursday, through April 1.