TICONDEROGA - The Festival of Trees, a holiday tradition in Ticonderoga, will again be held at the Hancock House.
The Ticonderoga Historical Society is looking for any community organizations, school groups, clubs or business to once again to participate in its annual Festival of Trees.
Groups are invited to decorate the Hancock House with a tree, centerpiece, gingerbread house, cookie tree or any other type of festive decorative art in a traditional theme.
Because of fire regulations participants can use only artificial materials.
The trees will be placed on display Nov. 27 through Jan. 1.
A champagne reception will be held Sunday, Dec. 12, 1-3 p.m.
For information call Robin Trudeau at the Hancock House at 585-7868 or contact Beth Iuliano at 585-7030.
Ticonderoga's Hancock House, earlier known as the Headquarters House, is a reproduction of the Colonial Mansion built in Boston from 1737-1740 and occupied by John Hancock, president of the Second Continental Congress and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
It serves as home to the Ticonderoga Historical Society.
The Headquarters House was erected in 1926 and presented to the New York State Historical Association by Horace A. Moses, a native son of Ticonderoga, to further the interest of the people of northeastern New York and the Lake Champlain and Lake George valleys in history and the fine arts.
According to the Hancock Museum literature, the house was constructed as a replica of the John Hancock home which stood on Beacon Street in Boston and which was demolished in 1863 to make room for a new wing of the State House.
John Hancock, a Revolutionary patriot, was a rich Boston merchant and his home was one of the finest of Colonial mansions.
Entering through the front door, one cannot help but notice the magnificent staircase that has three different designs of spindle used on each step, with intricately carved newel posts. A splendid specimen of Georgian architecture, this building was faithfully executed from the measured drawings made by John Sturgis before the original was destroyed, and it would be fireproof. The exterior, made with Weymouth granite, have survived well the atmospheric and weather conditions, which have lent a happy effect to the stones, causing color changes of greens, pinks and a warm gray.
The museum holds many cherished and priceless antique rarities for visitors to see. The first of these are the original paintings hanging on the walls. Portraits of New York governors were commissioned and executed for the City of Albany through the term of Charles Evans Hughes. Since Governor Hughes' days, the Herbert H. Lehman and the Franklin Delano Roosevelt portraits have been added through anonymous gifts to the association.
Artists are invited to show their art throughout the summer and give lectures in the Assembly Room.